Wednesday 8 February 2012

Delicious Homemade Almond Milk


I wish I could be a professional blogger. Sometimes I daydream about it. I love learning how to make new thingamajiggers and dohickies. When I am successful I want to run out onto my front porch and yell to the whole world (or just my neighbours and anyone that happens to be walking their dog) what I have just accomplished. There is a deep satisfaction in not having to rely on "the man" for a variety of things and today I said "screw you man I'm makin' my own almond milk".
 
It worked and it was easy. So now I have to yell at you how to do it so you will then in turn want to yell at other people to tell them how to do it.  Cow's milk has gotten a lot of heat in the past few decades. It has been linked to a variety of ill effects from cancers to heart disease. It causes the pain and suffering of millions of dairy cows in factory farms day after day. Sorry to be a debby downer. I think it is important to remember that dairy farmers are a business model just like any other commercial product and there is a lot of lobbying/advertising done to get that milk in our fridges.
 
Ok so Almond milk. It's pretty cool. I use it in pancakes and other baking as a substitution for cow's milk, on oatmeal and in shakes mostly. It's really great all of these ways. It adds just the slightest nuttiness and sweetness to make your belly grumble for more. The store bought stuff has a lot of additives in it so I thought I'd giver' a go....
 
Almond Coconut Milk

1 c Almonds
1/2 c  Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
5-6 c of warm water
Dollop of honey (if you like it sweetened a bit)
A splash or 2 of Vanilla 

Dump it all in a blender and soak it up. I let mine soak for about 5 hours. You could soak it for more or less. Whatever you fancy. Turn the blender on and blend for a few minutes. What you will be left with is a milky liquid with "pulp" in it. Strain this out through a mesh sieve or other fine strainer. Grab a beautiful bottle and pour it in. Add more water to thin depending on the consistency you desire. Sit back and relish in your new found self sufficiency. Feels kinda great doesn't it?

Even better you can then spread all the left over pulp on a cookie sheet greased with coconut oil and put it in the oven on the lowest heat setting to dehydrate. What you are left with is almond flour. Gluten free. Genius! 

Disclaimer: If you are allergic to nuts your body will not like this milk so instead just replace the nuts with more coconut flakes! Yay! Also, No almonds endured any pain or suffering in the making of this delicious substance. You can sleep soundly tonight. You're welcome.





No comments:

Post a Comment